Saturday, April 7, 2012

Music I find moving - listen to atleast one!

Bach - Fugue in D minor

This one is first for a reason... but I don't have much to say about it. The subject just gets me. With a total whopping 3 endings, 2 of which are deceptive, this piece just keeps you listening over and over and over... Just give it a listen.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NdbABjTs4v8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bach - Toccata and Fugue in D minor

I was at the Camelview 5 in Scottsdale with a certain Katelyn Roberts about a year ago when I heard an orchestral transposition of this piece played over the theatre's sound system. I made note to my friend that I was familiar with the music and moved my attention elsewhere.
For those of you who have seen "The Tree of Life," you'll know that the movie's soundtrack is quite fenominal, filled with all kinds of awesome classical music. Certainly enough, toward the middle of the film, Bach's Toccata and Fugue had a brief spotlight when the father, an avid musician, sits at an organ and begins to play. While I thought it would have been more neat to hear a more unknown piece.
Laughing, I leaned over and said, "This is the same piece of music we heard earlier."
I don't think she got it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Zd_oIFy1mxM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vivaldi

This piece was transcribed to harpsichord by Bach, but I give Vivaldi credit for its creation. This one has all kinds of dynamic changed and different melodic ideas. If you only listen to one, listen to this one. It has the most variety.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j9mHHTL9g5w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bach - Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor

There's only one passacaglia credited to Bach. This is it. I wrote an essay about this piece and how it inspired my educational path. Hopefully it will get me into Barrett at ASU! In a nutshell, I compaired the concrete subject to my character, using the dissonance in the melodies to compare to rough patches in my life and the resolutions as... well, resolutions. There's more to it, but its not worth writing about because I plan on posting said essay when I get the results back. (June 15)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1atQFLYbzuk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No comments:

Post a Comment